FLAG-MS offers knowledge and skills in design, simulation, realization and test of electric and hybrid powertrains. The powertrain architecture, the integration with the EE system of a vehicle and the vehicle functions can be defined and developed
by FLAG-MS according to the customer requirements.
The powertrain key components developed by FLAG-MS are:
- BMS - Battery Management System
- Battery Pack
- PDU - Power Distrubution Unit
- VMU - Vehicle Management Unit
Each single FLAG-MS own component can be fully integrated with third parties components in a whole electric vehicles powertrains.
FLAG-MS developed an high power compact size inverter for Electric Vehicle traction systems. The motor control strategy implemented in the inverter is developed according to the application requirements and tuned on the specific electric motor coupled to the inverter.
The main characteristics of the FLAG-MS inverter are:
- Power: up to 180 kW
- Voltage: up to 800 V
- Current: up to 700 A
The battery pack represents the core of an electric powertrain and needs to be designed and developed together with the vehicle. The development starts from the selection of the cells, the design (mechanical, thermal, electrical) of the battery modules and of the whole battery pack. After the design and modeling phase,the battery pack is built, tested on the bench and then installed on the vehicle.
The main features of the developed battery packs are:
- Voltage: up to 500 V
- Energy: up to 60 kWh
FLAG-MS BMS can be customized for the specific application according to the customer requirements.
A continuos development process is in progress on the BMS SW.
The main strategies and algorithms developed are related to:
- Cell balancing
- Voltage and Temperature monitoring
- Sensors coherency check
- Contactors diagnosis
- Single cell state of charge, state of health and state of function estimation
- Monitoring of isolation resistance
- Current limiting for charge and discharge phases
Other standard functions related to the system architecture are:
- VMU, inverter, battery charger and DC/DC protocol interfaces
- Cooling/Heating management (water pump, radiator fans, heater, chiller…)
- Interlock management (signal generation and monitoring)
- Data logging (SoC, SoH, voltages, temperatures, acceleration, faults...)
- Human Machine Interface
Powertrain components testing
The experimental activity represents a really important part of the powertrain development. FLAG-MS defines and performs tests on each single key component of the electric powertrain (Battery Pack, Inverter, Electric Motor, HV DC/DC, On Board Battery Charger) and on the complete system on the test bench before installing it on the vehicle.
The tests are addressed to:
- Characterize the component behaviour
- Define the components settings
- Make a fine tuning of each single component settings to optimize the performance
- Test the full integration of all the components